Crepe Myrtle

I have three crepe myrtles in my front yard for 3 years now. One of them is getting ready to bloom. The other two were later bloomers last year, however, they don't even have leaves yet. I have taken pics and hopefully you can tell me what is growing on the limbs. They are very brittle and dead at the very top, however, they are still alive. Can you help?

Sussex County Delaware trees and shrubs crape myrtles tree dieback

Sorry to see that you are having trouble with your trees. No leaves this late in the growing season is not encouraging. We don't usually see a lot of problems with Crape Myrtles once fully established in the landscape. It is hard to tell specifically what the problem is from the photograph. At first glance, symptoms look like possible herbicide injury, but of course I would need more information regarding site history, planting conditions, weather and growing conditions the last 2 years before I could give further advice. We would be happy to assist you if you would like to give us a call at the Sussex County Extension office at 302-856-7303. We are open 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday- Friday. Thanks for using Ask an Expert!