The attached photo of my oak tree in Garrett County shows a disease of the...

The attached photo of my oak tree in Garrett County shows a disease of the bark that easily peels away revealing dark wood underneath. In some areas of the intact bark, a whitish pus like material is oozing from the tree. Otherwise the tree appears to be healthy. The leaves are beautiful. It appears some smaller lesion, 4 to 6 inches, are on other oak trees on my property. Can you tell me what is wrong? Is there a treatment? Thank you, Matthew Korbich, Back Bay Road, Swanton, MD

Garrett County Maryland trees and shrubs slime flux oak tree slime flux

It appears that your oak tree has slime flux, a nonharmful bacterial infection. Many shade trees tend to get this condition. The slimey ooze is the tree's attempt to eject the bacteria. It does not harm the tree and you should just leave it alone, not digging or picking at it. Here is more information from our website's Plant Diagnostic: http://plantdiagnostics.umd.edu/level3.cfm?causeID=1230

Thank you very much for your help. Your diagnosis really sounds like what is happening to my tree. Will do as you say and hope the tree continues to do well.

Thanks again,
Matt