How Can I Treat My Horse with Large Strongyles?

My 16 year old Morgan had colic a couple weeks ago. Since then, twice I have found what I think are large Strongyles in his manure. How should I treat him? What worming product has the best effect on killing large Strongyles?
How often should I worm him with it in SW Colorado?

La Plata County Colorado

Parasites can be detrimental to a horse and decrease life expectancy. Normally worms at a younger age can cause problems which can affect the performance of a horse from years to come. If a horse hasn't been dewormed for a while (two to three years or more) it may be worth the time to have him drenched by a veterinarian. Although there are quality pastes today that do a great job and you can administer. Almost any Ivermectin based product will deal with strongyles and ascarids. I would suggest deworming your horse once a year if out on pasture and if in a stall or paddock environment twice a year should be sufficient. Remember deworming a horse can cause issues if he has large numbers of parasites. Worms can ball up in the intestines cause colic and twisted guts. Therefore if he hasn't been dewormed for a while you may need to take a fecal sample to your vet a week after worming and see if by chance you may need to deworm again in the next few months to get to an acceptable fecal count. Remember to rotate the anthelmintic you are using to get the best results. CSU Veterinary Extension team is free and you can contact them 24 hours a day and get advise at 970-217-2051. Good luck.