Something is eating my Young Pecan Tree

I have a 3 year old Pecan tree. All the leaves are disappearing from the branches. It must be something that comes at night because I never see anything during the day. Can you please help? Pretty soon it will be all bare. I tried the Neeman oil but no luck.

Thanks,
Liliana Rodriguez Cracraft
Houston, TX

P.S. The same thing is happening to my young peach tree.

Harris County Texas

Liliana,

That is very strange. I can think of two possiblities. One is leaf cutter ants. They remove leaves and take them into their underground chambers where they grow fungus on the leaves so they can eat the fungus! You should see some ant pathways through the yard and fairly close by there should be some dirt mounds about 6 inches high showing the location of their ant colony. The other option is caterpillars. These should be present in the daytime but may just not be noticeable.Check the branches carefully for them.

When you find one of these insects submit another question and we can advise on the best course of action.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'll continue to keep an eye on the tree. I'm attaching a couple of pictures.

The damage doesn't appear to be new damage so it is possible that the culprits have moved on. Keep watching for them. One other possible culprit is grasshoppers.

Thank you very much.