Courtyard Tree

I would like a recommendation on the appropriate size/kind of tree to plant in a courtyard (I have attached photos). Location is Minneapolis, Minnesota

The tree must be compact, the root system grow down and not sideways as to interfere with sidewalks, foundation, etc.

Height is not limited but the horizontal width is, best case would be 8-12 feet in width. The purpose of this tree would be to provide shade to our west facing bay windows as the heat is unbearable in the summer because of so much surrounding hard surface.

Any suggestions you could give me would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hennepin County Minnesota

Depending upon your soil type, fertility and your likes it is hard to recommend specific trees, however, here is a site that should give you some ideas.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG8464.html
Be aware, all plants feed in the upper two inches of soil (even if their anchor roots go down). You should probably have your soil tested.