Master Gardener Program

Is there someone/somewhere I can go to personally speak with concerning my options and concerns about registering for the Master Gardener Program?

Multnomah County Oregon master gardener program volunteer

Hello, and thank you for using Ask an Expert. First, let me give you a bit of background of the local Master Garden program which includes three counties: Multnomah, Washington and Clackamas.

“Today, more than 900 Master Gardeners provide relevant, research-based education and outreach to the public of Clackamas, Multnomah, and Washington Counties about horticulture and household pests. This information promotes sustainable practices that minimize risks to human health and the environment.” Registration information is available at http://metromastergardeners.org/mg-training.php . (Although the information on this page is for 2013, that for 2014 will be very similar.)

Annual training for new Master Gardeners usually begins the first full week in January. Registrants attend one day a week for 11 weeks, each day from 9 to 4. As stated at the above link, “This program includes both a 66–hour classroom training focused on the art and science of sustainable gardening and a 66–hour internship in which participants continue their learning by serving as gardening educators in the communities.”

You may contact our Master Gardener Coordinator, Jordis Yost, to discuss your questions and concerns. Her office is in the Clackamas County Extension Service office, 200 Warner–Milne Rd. Oregon City, OR 97045. Because Jordis is sometimes out of the office, please phone before you visit 503-650-3118.

Please let me know if you have additional questions,
Jean