I have to replace my Mirro canner. I am used to the jiggling gauge. What type...

I have to replace my Mirro canner. I am used to the jiggling gauge. What type does OSU recommend? I did have an issue last year with my new gas stove; low on the front main burners was not low enough to maintain the correct timing. If I placed the canner on the smaller back burner, the canner could not be centered on the burner. My daughter-in-law has researched the All American canner. What does your research say about that one?

Brown County Ohio

The first thing I would do is look in your gas stove manual and see if it recommends canning on your particular stove. If you can't find this information, call the 1-800 # and ask. Not all stoves can be used for the process of home canning. The second question is about canners. There are many good canners on the market. As long as they have either a dial or a weighted gauge, a tight-fitting lid with a good seal, a safety valve or plug, and can hold at least 4 quarts of food, they are appropriate for home canning. I can't recommend one brand over another.

For more information, you can contact your local OSU Extension Office.