Question about How to Work with ISU Extension

Good afternoon, My name is Katrina Moyna and I graduated with a degree in biology from Clarke University. I've also worked on many sustainability and local food initiatives (with the Northern Iowa Food & Farm Partnership, City of Dubuque, Clarke University, and the Meskwaki Food Sovereignty Initiative) and developed communications, public relations, project development, community planning, and naturalist skills during my time with these organizations. I would love with Iowa State Extension on local foods, healthy living, or the eco-living blog! I'm thinking about going back to grad school to get a master's in public health; is that a logical step toward working with Iowa State extension? Are there any particular colleges that would best serve the ISU extension requirements? Thank you for your help! Katrina

Clayton County Iowa

Hi Katrina,

Yes, getting a Masters degree is a necessary step towards most of the Specialist positions with Iowa State University Extension and Outreach. Be sure to look into the five divisions of Extension (linked from http://www.extension.iastate.edu/ under the educational areas tab) and see which one best fits your skills and interests, then ask yourself whether an MPH is the right Masters degree to position yourself for a job in that division. Given the interest areas you have laid out, it sounds like you could be a fit for Agriculture & Natural Resources, Human Sciences, or Community & Economic Development. Then, when the time is right, watch the ISU Extension job board at http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Jobs/. Also, it never hurts to get in good with an employee of the organization, or even an administrator, who can keep their ear to the ground for you. There are two people I'd consider talking to who are in positions much like the ones you describe; they can give you a better idea of what their jobs are like:

Brittany Bethel, Local Foods Coordinator for Dubuque County Extension
(563) 583-6496 or bbethel@iastate.edu

Kristi Cooper, Human Sciences Extension Specialist who runs the Eco-Living blog and Eco-Families virtual conference
319 377 9839 or kcoop@iastate.edu

Hope this helps,

Andy