Hi, I have been very puzzled by something I hope you could help me with. Why...

Hi, I have been very puzzled by something I hope you could help me with. Why wasn't I overrun with the 17yr locust that I remember as a child? I live in the same area and did not see a single one. Is it the climate change, global warming, or what. Thank you in advance for your expert help in this puzzling question. Sincerely, Leslie Grempler

Baltimore County Maryland pest control cicadas locust

There are multiple broods of 17 year locusts (cicadas) and they each have specific areas in which they emerge. The press made a lot of fuss about brood 2 cicadas which emerge chiefly in Virginia, but also in a small part of Pennsylvania. The brood that affects Baltimore County, Md. is brood 10 that emerges in 2004 and 2021. http://www.cicadas.info/ In late summer the dog day cicadas emerge every year, but they are not as numerous as the 17 year cicadas. vw

Thank you for clearing up my puzzled brain. Should have researched before I asked. I didn't realize that there were different broods. Leave it to the Press to jumble peoples brains, namely mine. Thanks again. LG