Tree Watering

I am repairing drip watering to several 3 inch trees that were originally equipped with three 1 GPH emitters. I have always heard trees in Colorado need about 10 gallons per inch of tree per week in the summer. Should the 1 GPH emitters be replaced by 4 GPH? There are too many trees for me to water by hand so I am looking for suggestions on how to water them. The ttrees range from 1 to 4 years old and some are pretty stressed. I need a long term plan for their successfull survival. thanks Brian Foreman

Douglas County Colorado trees and shrubs

Here is a good source of information for installing and using drip lines and for estimating the amount of water that your trees need. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/Garden/04702.htmlThe recommendation for drip irrigation of 10 gallons/week/tree diameter in inches, should be fine for your 3" diameter trees. The above referenced article describes frequency, emitters, and amount of water to deliver using a drip irrigation.