ovaries of draft horse mares

I read in one of your articles that a mares ovaries sit in between 45 and 50 cm. Is that also true with a draft horse or because of their size would the ovaries be found deeper? Are the ovaries larger in a draft horse then a saddle horse?

Flathead County Montana

Hi -- I've been watching your answer for a few weeks to see how an expert answered it, but no one has so I will chime in WITH MY OPINION. I know of no reason why a lay person would/should be palpating horse ovaries. Rectal palpation in mares is very dangerous to both the horse and human and I would never advise a non-veterinarinan how to do it. It is very easy to puncture the rectum when palpating mares; this results in either very expensive corrective surgery or death of the mare. I'm sorry you didn't get the information you were seeking, but there are times you really need to have professionals do the work they were well trained to do.

Thank you for your response. No where in my question did it mention either me palpating or ultrasounding mares, but there are people who study the reproduction system to better understand and be able to discuss breeding with their vet.
I've been breeding mares for over 33 years. I have been lucky enough to work with the vet, who taught me not only ultrasounding, but palpating as well.
Interesting enough, most vets have less reproduction practice then most stallion/mare managers working on breeding farms who are doing reproduction work daily verses a vet who might have a few clients that breed one or two mares. It is my that Ultrasounding is a very small part of the veterinarian training and if they so choose, vets that want to specialize in reproduction will take additional classes .
My question was in general, just wondering the if there was a difference in draft verses saddle horse.
Thank you for your response.

Stay tuned... I'm waiting for an answer to your question from an equine reproductive specialist.

Hi again -- here is info from an equine reproductive specialist: "I am not aware of any studies giving precise measurement comparing types of horse. My personal observation is that there is little difference in size, just slightly larger ovaries in warm blood and draft horses."