Oak Tree vs. Car Accident

I have an oak tree (either Burr or Swamp) that was planted approx. 10 years ago. It is 5 - 6 inches in diameter. This past Saturday (7/20) it was hit by a car and was tilted between 10 -20 degrees. There is also a wound in the trunk about 1/4" gouge and scraped vertically 1 1/2 - 2 inches long. I've wrapped the wound, but would like to know what I can/should do to straighten it up again. I would also like to know what additional steps I can take to care for the wound and if there is any additional feeding I can provide to help it recover. My late husband planted it and I don't want to lose it.

Denver County Colorado trees and shrubs

Hi there -

Do not wrap the trunk. Bark trace the wound by removing any loose bark with a knife. Do not apply anything to the wound - this is an outdated practice that will only interfere with the tree's natural wound closure process. You can hire a Certified Arborist to use steel cables to secure the tree upright if not too many roots have been damaged. Be sure to irrigate and mulch properly as well. You can search for a Certified arborist by zip code here: http://www.isa-arbor.com/faca/findArborist.aspx