Hello. I assume these are bagworms on our spruce? (Photo attached.) I read...

Hello. I assume these are bagworms on our spruce? (Photo attached.) I read the bagworm info on your website & removed as many of the pods as I could find. Two further questions: 1) Is this fatal or will the spruce recover? and 2) Are there any insecticide sprays that would be effective now in July to kill current worms and/or prevent future ones? Thank you.

Harford County Maryland

Yes, these are indeed bagworms on your spruce and they should be treated now.
Spruce trees do not recover very readily from their damage so trees can really be disfigured. Treat with an insecticide that contains spinosad. There are a few spinosad products on the market. Go to a plant nursery or garden center to find one. This product will not prevent a future bagworm infestation. Next season begin to monitor for this insect in late May, into June. At the first sign of activity you can spray then with Bt which is mentioned in our publication on bagworms.

dr