Eagle Scout Project

Hi, my name is Robert Mancha, and I'm currently gathering information towards my proposal for my Eagle Scout Project. My project will be using plants and foliage native to Texas to beautify the flag pole area at my high school. It's main purpose is to teach individuals that, due to the water restrictions some areas may experience, it does not mean they can't plant to beautify the surrounding environment. I'm inquiring as to what plants are the best suited for the soil in San Antonio, TX and it's weather conditions. Also, what will be the lowest annual water expenditure for maintaining such plants? Based on these circumstances, what plants should I use for my project? Thank you.

Bexar County Texas

Robert,

Without a doubt, the best plants to consider would be Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service and Research’s designated Texas Superstar plants.
More information about the different choices may be found at: http://texassuperstar.com/.

Now remember one thing, just because a plant is considered “Native or well-adapted”, bed preparation with liberal amounts of enriched compost and topping the beds off with a hardwood mulch should be a must.

Also, trying to establish PLANTS IN THE HOTTEST TIME OF THE YEAR IS VERY CHALLENGING.
Maybe plan and prepare the area at this time and set-up a drip irrigation system for fall planting?

Good luck!
David Rodriguez Extension Horticulturist- Bexar County
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
3355 Cherry Ridge, Suite 212
San Antonio, TX 78230
210-467-6575