Plant for a problem ditch

Here is a puzzle that I've been rolling around in my head for awhile: I am on a farm, and on this farm is a shallow ditch. In the winter this ditch is flooded almost constantly. In the summer this ditch is bone dry. Once it dries up enough, tractors and other farm equipment drive over it. We normally just plant a ryegrass and hope for the best, but this means we have to reseed almost every year and it always is a big mess. Any suggestions for what to grow in this ditch? The plant doesn't need to look good or even be green in the height of summer...just needs to be able to survive equipment traffic and recover for the fall.

Benton County Oregon

I would suggest contacting your local Soil and Water Conservation District (Benton SWCD) for specific ground cover recommendations. You may also be interested in the OSU Extension Publication at this link: http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/20370/em8876-e.pdf

Hope this helps some.