I recently lost a major branch (20 ft)of our black walnut tree; it had plenty...

I recently lost a major branch (20 ft)of our black walnut tree; it had plenty of leaves, black walnuts and appeared healthy. Enclosed are 4 pictures of the remaining tree limb and sections of the lost limb. Any ideas about disease, insects etc. Thanks

Howard County Maryland trees and shrubs walnut trees

We would like to see the other photos, and if you respond to this response, you will be allowed to attach three more photos. (We're hoping to provide that convenience to future original questions)
LS

Thanks for your answer. Enclosed are more photos. I could only include one photo with the original inquiry.

We see no obvious signs of disease or insect activity. There may have been a crack in the wood that eventually gave way. It is appropriate that you prune off the damaged stub in order to prevent insect or disease incursion. It is probably best to prune off the entire limb making sure that you do not damage the collar material at the base of the limb. This will allow the tree to isolate the wound and to gradually grow over the wound.
LS