Several Thyme plants bought this spring looking dead now!

I live in a housing addition & have volunteered to help care for the plants at the entrance.Two ladies already have been doing it but since they know I took the Master Gardening class this year The one was asking mewhat I think caused their Thyme plants to be brown & dead looking with just a bit of green at the edge.
Then 2 days ago the other lady told me she had been fertilizing them once a week
in the beginning to get them going.She said the nurserys fertilize daily.I just said if they do I,m sure it's a much deluted amount. Most fertilizers don't recommend applications more than every 4 to 6 weeks & she was aware of that.

Williams County Ohio

It depends on the type of fertilizer she was using. If she were using something like a dilute soluble fertilizer like Miracle Grow then I do not think it would cause the damage you describe. She could still damage the plants if it is not diluted enough. If she is using a granular fertilizer on a weekly basis then the root system could be damaged from salts injury.