a response to your answer of two months ago

yucca elata (I think)
I'm sorry to have delayed this so long, but soon after I received your answer, I noticed that the yucca that was the subject of my inquiry had started what looked like a blossom stalk. I have taken a series of photos of the plant as it sprouted four stalks, to record for my own edification. Because my e-mail carrier limits the amount of data I can transmit, I attach the first photo and the most recent two, from today. The first today was late morning; the second was later this afternoon - I include it because the main flower stalk now has fallen.
Somewhere, I think, I have a photo of the plant from a few years ago which, if I find it, I will send along for comparison.
The advice I received (essentially, "leave the plant alone") was right on the mark! [I note, happily, that I have an excuse, now, not to try to weed under it. The ends of the leaves are sharp, sharp, sharp!]
Thank you for your assistance.
A copy of my initial inquiry and the response from the Expert are included below. I will also respond to the evaluation survey.

W. Paul Wharton
436 East 800 South Street
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
unlisted phone: 801-531-6735
wpwharton@juno.com
On Mon, 06 May 2013 09:26:23 +0000 aae-notify@extension.org writes:

eXtension Ask an Expert

Ask an Expert EvaulationView in a browser Hello,A week ago, you received an answer to a question you asked using our eXtension Ask an Expert system.We’re working to improve the question and answer experience, and your feedback is very important. Your responses are confidential, and will only be viewed when grouped with other responses. Any information that might identify you personally will be removed before the results are shared. We hope you will take a few minutes and complete our short evaluation survey .View Evaluation SurveyThank you for using eXtension Ask an Expert!Sincerely,
Kevin Gamble, Ph.D.
National eXtension Initiative
kevin.gamble@extension.org
Thank you for using Ask an Expert.This message for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for personalized professional advice. For specific local information, contact your local county Cooperative Extension office or other qualified professionals. eXtension Foundation does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, professional, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned. Reliance on any information provided by eXtension Foundation, employees, suppliers, member universities, or other third parties through eXtension is solely at the user’s own risk. All eXtension content and communication is subject to the Terms of Use which may be revised at any time.View in a browser
Here was my question and the answer is right below:

yucca elata

I think that is the yucca we have in our front yard near downtown Salt Lake City. It has been growing there for at least 35 years. It has bloomed each year for about 25 years. It stood about 12 or 15 feet tall, and flower stalks added another 8-10 feet. During February this year, it "fell over". The bottom of the trunk is still vertical, but it swoops over at about 7 feet up, reaches a low point, and then turns upward again. As far as I can tell, it does not look damaged, it is still green. And it did not have a heavy snow load. So what happened? And should I do anything to "rescue" it? If it would help, I now see from the bottom of this page, I could send a photograph of it as it now appears.
Given the time of day, I plan to retire for the night in a few minutes. Can you send a reply by email? Thank you!
Asked 3 months agoSalt Lake County Utah

Responses

It sounds like its own weight plus whatever snow might have been on it just caused the stem to bend. You'll know as growth starts this spring if the stem was damaged much. If not, it likely will settle into this new shape and keep growing. Good luck.

Salt Lake County Utah

This Question is Waiting for an eXtension Answer

What's an eXtension Answer? Your questions are answered by Cooperative Extension and University staff and volunteers from across the United States. That means the answer given here will be objective, research-based and credible.