Summer Growing

• Howdy, my name's Cristian Mendoza, and I just wanted to ask what kind of fruits and vegetables I could plant in July down here in deep south Texas. I'm the president of my high school FFA chapter, and I'd love to be able to start off my senior year with some fresh, homegrown fruits and vegetables that I could give out to my chapter members and FFA Advisor, Mrs. Jacquelyn Stevens, as well as have a ready supply for home. My only problem, though, is that I really don't know if there is anything I can plant in July, especially down here in the harsh heat of deep south Texas.

Cameron County Texas

The only things you can plant that can take the hot soil temperatures are okra and hot peppers like jalapenos. In mid-August you can plant tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers and squash. When mid-September comes around you can plant the cool-season vegetables like cabbage, carrots, onions, etc. Hope this helps.

Immensely. Thanks!