browning leaves evergreen

I have what I think is a Silver cypress, about 20 in. tall that I put into a bonsai
dish about four weeks ago, leaving some dirt on the root ball, trimmed very little
root, and used a good soil mix, with good drain age. Why are the needles turning
brown from the trunk of the tree up and out the branches?.

Oakland County Michigan

There could be a number of reasons. Needles that are brown are dead, never to return.
Since I am not looking at the cypress or the container or the location or the potting mix or the amount of moisture that has been supplied, it could be any one of these or a combination of them.

I doubt that this would be disease or insect related, so that only leaves environmental problems.

The biggest question is: how much experience have you had with bonsai? Trying to keep plants as miniatures is a very complicated process.

I do not have enough information to have any idea what is happening. You are in the best place to evaluate that.