I am mostly seeing bumblebees this year and so far have only seen one...

I am mostly seeing bumblebees this year and so far have only seen one honeybee this year. Is that because of the time of day I am looking? Because I live in a suburban concrete island, or is the honeybee die-off something that we read about in the news actually something we can observe ourselves. I am not kidding. I am looking, but not seeing, honeybees in my garden. I have lots of things planted which are blooming and which bees and butterflies are supposed to like. The bumblebees clearly do... so where are the honeybees???

Howard County Maryland beneficial insects honeybees

There are probably no feral honey bees in Maryland. Any honey bees that you might see are maintained by beekeepers who treat the hives for mites and all the assorted problems that honey bees have. If you want honey bees, you might consider becoming a bee keeper. http://www.howardcountybeekeepers.org/ Honey bees have been in decline even before colony collapse hit the news. It used to be easy to maintain bees, but it has become increasingly difficult due to mites and other problems. vw