Bottom land grass

I have a ranch in Sulphur Springs, TX. I'm in the process of clearing some bottom land for cattle grazing. I would like to know a good grass seed to plant for summer and winter grazing?

Hopkins County Texas pastures and forages

Unfortunately, there is not one variety for summer and winter grazing. You may wish to consider establishing bermudagrass (hybrids vegetatively propagated will typically yield more than seeded varieties). You can then overseed the bermudagrass with a cool-season annual in early autumn to obtain more grazing days from the same unit area of land. Depending on the soil type, this would likely be triticale, wheat, or rye.

If you were thinking of a warm-season annual, you might consider Teff, harvest or graze, and then prepare another seedbed and plant the cool-season annual. You will have more work and expense if you go the double annual program, but some folks like farming...

This is very late in the year to consider establishing a forage. Dry conditions this time of year reduce the chances for a successful establishment.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Best regards,