Young Peach Tree Problem

I have a peach tree we planted this April as a bare root tree. It took a long time to leaf out and when it finally did, it has only had small leaves near the trunk (the tips of most branches seem dead with failed leaf buds). Now the leaves that are green are still all curled up and many are yellowing and look like they are loosing chunks out of the side. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Also, how often and how much water should this tree be getting its first year in this hot Utah summer?

Thanks.

Cache County Utah stone fruit peaches fruit trees peach trees horticulture

It looks OK to me. It is stressed, but that is to be expected. The chunks of the leaves that you are missing have been removed by leaf cutter bees. They cut round discs from leaves and store them for their young to feed on later. You can't really prevent it. Where branches have died back you can prune the dead part off once you know it is dead. All I can say about water is to give it plenty while it is hot and dry. You want water to go at least a foot deep and wider than the root ball.