Too Much Nitrogen

Practically everything in my veggie garden is telling me there is way too much nitrogen.

Sweet Con has no cobs; zucchini flowers drop off; tomato plants are huge with dark green foliage and small fruit; onions did not sprout the list goes on and on. This year, after 5 years of no fertilizer or ground amendments, I added Scotts brand garden soil and tilled to no shallower than a feet.

What can I do to lower the nitrogen content??

Solano County California fruits and vegetables gardening horticulture

Nitrogen is very mobile in the soil. Out here in the east it leaches out faster than the plants can take it up some times. I don't know if you have the ability to have a soil test done or not, but that would be my first recommendation. If the phosphorus (P) and potassium (K) levels in the soil are low compared to the nitrogen content, then you may be able to add P and K to the soil to increase flowering and fruiting.

Did the Scott's brand garden soil have a fertilizer added to the mix? It should say on the packaging. It may even say feeds for ___ months. After that many months the nitrogen (N) should be out of the soil and your garden should start producing again without adding any extra nutrients.

The short answer to your question is to leach the N out of the soil so the P and K and trigger the plants to flower.