Radishes, soil and winter

I used a sandy soil that I mixed organic compost in it for my vegetable garden. I have them in tires. I had all of my seeds in by April 1st. We had three snow storms right after but they still sprouted. I helped my grandfather garden when I was 3 and now I am 44. I don't remember everything. Anyway, I know radishes are supposed to "shoulder" in the soil when they are ready to harvest. Mine grew over 2ft tall and have pods that have seeds. The root was not wider than a nickle and only about an inch long. First, what did I do wrong? I did add a vegetable fertilizer in the soil before planting. Perhaps the seeds were too old? This is my first vegetable garden in all these years. 2nd, how can I prevent this from happening again? Third, can I use these seeds next season and how do I prepare them?

El Paso County Colorado

Thank you for your question.

Can you please tell me what variety of radish seeds you planted.

I will need that information for research purposes.

I am including a link from Colorado State University regarding radishes.

http://www.cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/724.html