Non-blossoming tomatoes

Hello, I have tomato plants that seemed to have been doing fine until my interference. About a month ago I began giving them a bunch of nitrogen, now I have huge bushes and no blossoms to speak of. My question is will I be able to salvage a harvest off of these plants? I have stopped all fertilization and now only water in hopes that I will see flowers in the very near future. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Kevin Drake

Dallas County Texas

Typically, tomato plants benefit from a side dressing (application during production) of nitrogen to keep them vigorous and productive. Couple things could be going on; perhaps too much N made them too vegetative and your course of action at the moment is the correct one. Some varieties do not respond as well to high N rates as others; modern hybrid tomatoes often will continue to bloom at high rates than some older hybrids or heirloom varieties. Finally, except perhaps for cherry tomatoes, once daytime temperatures start hitting the mid-nineties (and night temps remain above the lower 70's), even if they do bloom, they typically will not set fruit under those conditions. If however you keep the plants healthy until temperatures moderate, then they will begin to set fruit again at that time.

Thank you very much for your reply, I will wait for these temperatures to drop and in the mean time I will continue to take care of the plants.