growing root crops

I grow my vegetables in raised beds. Each Spring I work in 1/4 to 1/2 volume of commercially produced compost and garden soil. This works great for everything but root crops. I have never had even one beet grow, I get a few carrots and radishes but they are mostly leaves with tiny roots. The radishes rarely bulb. I have read that root crops don't like too many nutrients in the soil and wonder if that is why I grow tops but no roots? I am thinking about building a separate bed for these plants. What sort of soil would be best for them? Is there something else I am doing wrong? Thank you, Shannon Carranza

Jefferson County Colorado fruits and vegetables

I believe you are using too much compost. It should be no more than 5% of the raised bed. Also commercial compost is very high in nitrogen and salts. I would recommend decreasing the amount of compost and perhaps making your own from veggie kitchen waste.

thank you, I will do that. I think I will cut back on the compost in all of the beds next year as well.