Tomato Blooms

My tomato plants are huge but I have only 2-3 blooms on 10 plants. I have not had this occur previous years in the same location. Is it too much water -- we've had a great deal of rain. A neighbor suggested I cut down some of the height of the plant so more energy goes into the production of blooms and fruit. Your suggestions?

Coweta County Georgia

The description of your tomato plants is a common complaint for tomatoes that have received too much nitrogen. Has a soil test been taken in the area? Tomatoes that have too much nitrogen will be dark green, have excessive foliage, and few (if any) blooms. If the plants have been overfertilized, any pruning at this point will be of little help.

Tomatoes are medium feeders and should be fertilized based on a soil test report. If no report is available, you should fertilize lightly (2 tablespoons of 5-10-10 per plants) at planting. When the first tomatoes are about the size of a quarter, sidedress with a tablespoon of 10-10-10 per plant and again every 3-4 weeks throughout harvest.

The University of Georgia's Extension publication, Georgia Home Grown Tomatoes, will provide additional information: http://www.caes.uga.edu/applications/publications/files/pdf/B%201271_3.PDF.

For more information, contact the Coweta County Extension office at 770-254-2620.