Child Safe Chigger pesticide

I have young children and pets and we have recently all been getting chigger bites. I'm 90% positive they're chiggers, because my wife never hangs out in the back yard and after she went out there yesterday, she had a lot of bites along her clothing line. I wonder what is the best and safest way to get rid of these pests? I don't WANT to use pesticides, but it's very important we get rid of them, so I'm willing to, and would like to know the best product.

Collin County Texas

This is high chigger season and there are some practical things that can be done to make at least your yard safer from these nasty pests. Wearing repellent, such as DEET or sulfur dust, will help. Tucking long pants into socks (not very fashionable, I know) and spraying repellent on shoes and lower legs is the best protection when you know you'll be walking into "chiggerland". Taking a good shower and scrubbing skin with a washcloth to dislodge any wandering or newly attached chiggers can help if done within an hour or so of exposure. Keep grass clipped short, and follow other recommendations in our fact sheet: https://agrilifebookstore.org/publications_details.cfm?whichpublication=2204 Permethrin or similar pesticides can be safely applied to lawns where children and pets are present as long as label directions are followed. If it were me and my lawn, and chiggers were in it, I'd spray the lawn.