Where can I find a White Fringe Tree (shrub).

Washington County Pennsylvania

Chionanthus virginicus (white fringe tree) can be purchased at most local commercial nurseries. You are not likely to find it at any of the big box store garden centers. It prefers most, acid, well drained soils but is very adaptable. It will prosper in full sun to moderate shade. Grows 12-20 ft high and wide.

You might also consider Chionanthus retus (Chinese fringe tree) which can also function as a large shrub or small tree.
Best planting time is in early fall although it can be planted now if you can ensure adequate moisture as the root system becomes established.

Good luck

thank you very much for your information. I have not been able to find a nursery which has this shrub. Last year Home Depot had them but I was too late to get one - they had all sold. May be they will have them later in the summer. Thanks for the info about supplying the shrub what it needs to thrive. I really, really want one (or two). Saw them at a rest stop on the highway somewhere. The fragrance was awesome and it filled the air.

You're making an excellent selection. Sorry I don't have additional information on local nurseries in your county. Local nurseries may have also sold out of their stock. You might want to locate a grwowers nursery that would dig an existing tree if you don't want to wait for the restocking process next spring.

Good luck