Raspberry Shrub Plants

I have some insects or something eating my raspberry plant leaves. Small holes in the leaves like something is feeding on them. Turned the leaves over and could not find any insects. These plants are the Heritage Raspberry shrub plants. Planted them this spring, already have some berry buds. How do I treat these plants without harming them, and what do I use to kill the insects?

Washington County Oregon

Thank you for your question to Ask the Expert.

Based on the description of the damage that you provided, I am unable to find a potential cause of the small holes on the leaves? How much of the plant is affected? Are there any other symptoms that you can see?

If the damage is minor, then the plant could produce fruit normally. With 'Heritage,' you might get a decent late season harvest on first year planting.

See the following resources to see if you can match your symtoms with a particular pest:

There is a leaf spot disease that causes small spots on the leaves. Are the holes varied and are there purple rings around them? See: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/GARDEN/FRUIT/DISEASE/leafspot.html

If you cannot deduce the potential cause of the problem based on additional symptoms, please send me some pictures of the leaves and also of the whole plant.

Regardless, please make sure to confirm a cause of the problem and establish a threshold for damage before applying a pesticide to treat the situation.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Weston