Hello -- My question is in reference to cross polination. I have planted a...

Hello -- My question is in reference to cross polination. I have planted a butternut squash next to a snake gourd and they are both starting to bloom. My garden is very small and everything is close together. I also have a zucchini next to another squash (I thought it was a patty pan but the fruit is not the right shape??). I have heard that the only concern is using the seeds the next year - that the fruit will be whatever they are supposed to be the first year. I am not planning to save the seed. Then a friend said that they will cross and the fruit will not be edible. Now I'm concerned that I will need to move things or get rid of something. Thank you for your help. Ellen Kuhr

Weld County Colorado fruits and vegetables cross pollination

You are correct... there will be no effect on the current year crop, but the seeds produced in the fruit may be cross contaminated. If you would like some additional information, see http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1996/8-23-1996/crosspol.html