male & female mesquite trees

A friend told me that there were male and female mesquite trees. She contended that the female mesquites were the ones with blooms and the trees that didn't have blooms were the male species. Can this be true? If so, then how do the blooms get fertilized allowing beans to be formed? Is it a case of the trees with blooms have both male and female blooms? If that's it, then, are the trees that don't produce blooms and beans 'sterile'?

Caldwell County Texas

Mesquite have both male and female parts to the flower and all are capabile of producing seeds in years that it can. There is no separate male and female trees.

Thanks for the feedback! I couldn't believe that there was such a thing as male and female trees! I'm still puzzeled as to why, when this subject came up, time after time we were seeing some of the trees in bloom while some weren't...and they were all larger trees too and this was the case throughout the pasture as we drove around! One more burning mystery! Do you have any idea as to why that is the case?

It may be due to soils rainfall or any other combination of environmental factors. Many plants do not produce flowers or fruit each year. There could be some tres that are old and my be sterile lots of variables.