Flowering

I'm new to gardening this year, so am trying to get the facts straight. My broccoli started flowering, so I pulled it out according to recommendations on the web. I did the same for my tomatoe. Maybe I shouldn't have done this. I thought it was called bolting, which ruined the plant. I'm confused about flowering. Are only some plants supposed to flower to allow for pollination for fruit to form? My peppers have flowered. I take it they're supposed to do this. Do I understand correctly that beans and winter and summer squash are supposed to flower also? (A basic question, I know, but thank you). Also, how can you gauge whether you've watered 1" to 1-1/2" per week? Is it better to water in the morning or evening, and, is it detrimental to get water on the leaves in the bright sunlight? (Your help is much appreciated)

Boulder County Colorado

Welcome to the wide world of gardening. While it is fun and rewarding it can also be quite challenging. Are only some plants supposed to flower to allow for pollination for fruit to form?The thing to keep in mind is what part of the plant are we eating, roots (carrots, onions, parsnips, beets), stems (celery, rhubarb, broccoli, kohlrabi ), leaves (spinach, chard, lettuce), fruit (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, beans, peas, squash). That said typically we do not want the stems and leaves to bolt, you can cut off the flower stem and keep the plant producing but usually means it is close to the end of its edible life. The fruits we eat do require flowering and pollination, leave those flowers. http://cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/719.pdf My peppers have flowered. I take it they're supposed to do this.yes Do I understand correctly that beans and winter and summer squash are supposed to flower also? (A basic question, I know, but thank you). yes how can you gauge whether you've watered 1" to 1-1/2" per week?http://www.cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/716.pdf Is it better to water in the morning or evening, and, is it detrimental to get water on the leaves in the bright sunlight? Morning is best but evening is okay after it starts to cool down, if you do get leaves wet when watering you just want to make sure leaves are able to dry before night time.You may also consider soaker hoses or drip irrigation instead of overhead watering. I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to ask more.CO Master Gardener