Could you tell me please if caladiums can grown under pine trees? Also, will...

Could you tell me please if caladiums can grown under pine trees? Also, will wisteria grow in a partial shade? Thanks very much!

Montgomery County Maryland flowers pine trees caladiums caladium growing

It is possible to grow caladiums under pine trees, but keep in mind that these are tender bulbs that need to be lifted in fall before it gets too cold and stored indoors. They can tolerate the shade under a pine tree, but they also demand moist soil and are heavy feeders. The pine tree roots are well established and will compete strongly for water and nutrients, so unless you are very attentive to your caladiums with watering and fertilizing, they won't do well for you. You might consider placing pots under the pine. Or, try plants that tolerate shade and drought--there are some.

Wisteria will grow in partial shade, but full sun is recommended, particularly if you want good flowering. However, wisteria are invasive and certainly grow up trees in the wild and bloom profusely! A critical issue for good flowering is to prune religiously on a schedule each year or otherwise stress the plant--don't fertilize! Perhaps that's why they bloom in the wild where they have to compete with other plants to survive.

Thanks so much for your quick and helpful response! I did plant hostas under the pine; they're thriving. Ill keep the caladiums in pots; wisteria on trellis!