Memosa tree wilt

Hi! I hope I am not intruding by writing here but I'm just not sure where to turn! We bought a Mimosa tree 6 years ago and it never did well. We let it grow until the trunk was about 5". The tree just kept getting uglier so we cut it down. When the root grew new babies we let them grow for a couple of years and the same thing happened. 14 feet away we planted a golden chain tree and it grew for a couple of years and the same thing happened to it. Between the two sick trees we planted a flowering almond bush it is now gone because of the same problems. Through internet research I am certain it have tree wilt. Now, we have no trees in places that are in desperate need of trees and I don't have a clue as to what to do or what to plant! Can you give me any ideas? Thanks! Barb Ward

Clackamas County Oregon

Without a sample, diagnosis is often difficult. Because of the variety of trees affected, I would say we are looking at a soil problem. Excessive moisture as in a heavy soil can cause root rot. The worst time for the excess moisture is as the soil warms. An automatic sprinkling system incorrectly zoned or run is one possible villain. There is a wilt disease called verticillium which affects many tree species. It is soil borne. I would hesitate to say that is the problem without examination of the inner tissue of the tree (xylem). You do have a good OSU Extension office in Clackamas Co. If you still have plant matter, they could check it for you. If it turns out to be verticillium there is a list of resistant trees, including oaks and conifers. Please get back to us if you need more help. The website for your county is extension.oregonstate.edu/clackamas