Create Buffalo Grass Plugs

I'm in Cheyenne, and my south-side lawn gets full sun all summer, and the current grass is ill-equipped to survive. I'm thinking about putting in buffalo grass. The ease of using plugs appeals to me, but it's pricey. Seed is cheaper, but it would require me to till my existing space. My question is this: can I buy seed and some trays and create my own plugs? If so, do you have any advice on doing this? How long before the plugs may be planted? I assume I'd need to plant about an inch down, and it would be best to keep the trays outside to avoid shock when they are planted. I appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Laramie County Wyoming

This Question is Waiting for an eXtension Answer

What's an eXtension Answer? Your questions are answered by Cooperative Extension and University staff and volunteers from across the United States. That means the answer given here will be objective, research-based and credible.