I have a wet basement problem. the ground outside is covered with ivy. I want...

I have a wet basement problem. the ground outside is covered with ivy. I want to know if the ivy is contributing to the problem by keeping the ground saturated and preventing it from drying between rains. also what is the best way to remove the ivy, so it won, come back. also what should the ivy be replaced with so the ground can dry between rains?

Montgomery County Maryland groundcovers ivy wet basement

It's doubtful that replacing the ivy around your foundation will solve a wet basement problem. Any plant along the foundation will have roots that remove water from the soil. Also they will shade the soil somewhat which could slow evaporation to a small degree. However, the ivy would not cause a wet basement by itself.

It is more likely that the soil around the house foundation needs to be regraded so that water flows away from the foundation better (which means you need to build up the soil level to make it higher at the foundation.) The foundation may also have a crack.

If you want to remove ivy, you can pull it or mow it, plus you can spray it with an herbicide containing the ingredient glyphosate. Read label directions very carefully. You can also smother it with multiple layers of newspapers or a layer of cardboard, covered with mulch.