Larvae or wormlike bug in swarming garden

Asked June 7, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT

There are hundreds of very small wormlike bugs, or larvae covering the the walls and benches of my raised vegetable garden. I had to look very closely to realize they were bugs. I've added a few pictures of them taken at very close range. They are sitting on the broad side of a 2x4, to give some perspective. I estimate they are less than about 1/8 inch long, and less than 1/16 inch wide. Do you know what these might be and if they are a pest, do you know of a way to get rid of them?
I can sends additional pictures if it would help, and can answer any questions.

Arapahoe County Colorado garden insects

1 Response

These are not insects but crustaceans called duff millipedes. They are more commonly found in the foothills and pine-forested areas of Colorado. Duff millipedes feed on decaying organic matter like pine needle "duff". They are no threat to your garden plants or to your health, although they can be an annoyance/nuisance.See Fig 5 and text at