What can I do about a serious problem with Voles? They are destroying my...

What can I do about a serious problem with Voles? They are destroying my landscaping

Calvert County Maryland pest control voles

Voles can be a serious problem since they are colonizers and usually occur in large numbers, 80-100 per colony. They are best controlled by the extensive use of mousetraps baited with either peanut butter or a bit of fruit. At least one successful homeowner caught 57 by tying cotton balls on the trip mechanisms of the traps and dousing each with a few drops of maraschino cherry juice. The traps should be placed on the surface of the soil around the shrubs and plants that are being targeted. If there are squirrels, pets, or other animals that may trip the traps, you can cover the traps with buckets, boxes, flower pots, etc. The voles will dig upward to reach the bait. Autumn is the easiest time to trap them as their food sources dwindle. If you have success, continue trapping.
LS