home garden question: something is eating the leaves of my bush beans in my...

home garden question: something is eating the leaves of my bush beans in my backyard plot. Leaves are denuded leaving only the stem and root in the ground. Can't seem to find evidence of insects, leaves have yellow spots before disappearing. ANy ideas?

Montgomery County Maryland vegetables garden pests vegetable pests

As we interpret your description of the damage to your bush beans, the likely culprit is a groundhog. It is typical for that pest to eat the leaves, leaving the stems behind. You might look around your property for a hole under a shed, deck, or embankment. FYI, the groundhog is the only pest that you can legally trap in Maryland without a permit. They are difficult to control without serious intervention. If you determine that the pest is a groundhog, you may want to call the Department of Natural Resources 'Wildlife Hotline' for additional information on how to control the pest. 1-877-463-6497.
LS