Wisteria Mysterey

For the past 3 yrs, I've observed that wisteria will not entangle itself with the Hydreanga bush. Wisteria will avoid the Hydreanga bush and its vines make a U-turn in the opposite direction. Does anyone know why? Are there any other plants that the wisteria will Not entangle itself with?

Horry County South Carolina trees and shrubs wisteria horticulture

I am not aware of any particular reason why wisteria will not grow on hydrangea, however, I would view this as a good thing. Unless you are growing the native species of wisteria (Wisteria frutescens (L.) Poir.), the chinese and japanese types are highly aggressive in South Carolina and are considered invasive. My guess is that the wisteria in its quest to grow upward avoids the lower and weaker hydrangea in favor of taller, stronger supporting plants and structures.

I don't believe it's the height or strength of the hydrangea, but rather it may give off some type of gas or chemical, that the wisteria does not like. I thought maybe someone may have dicovered this. If not it may be a good thing for homeowners to be aware of when planting wisteria, that along side it they may want to plant hydrangea, to keep the wisteria under control. Thanks for your info though.