Hello, I have an 1/2 acre pond with an average depth around 6 feet. It goes...

Hello, I have an 1/2 acre pond with an average depth around 6 feet. It goes as deep as 10' deep though. I treated the algae with copper sulfate crystals. I spread 7.5 lbs each on two different occurances. The first occurance was about 2 months ago, then again 2 weeks later. I am seeing a lot of floating algae right now and am trying to decide if I can treat again or if I should opt for Grass carp. I have some nice lilies that I would rather not give up if I can do it with copper sulfate. The pond also has a nice fish population that I do not want to lose. I just moved to the property, so the previous owner suggested the copper sulfate. I am thinking that I used the crystals and I should have used the powder and that I did not apply enough. My method is to throw in the sulfate from the shore. Any advise on this matter would be helpful.

Madison County Ohio freshwater aquaculture recreational pond management aquatic weed control

You will probably get better results if you can dissolve the copper product and spray it. Consider this fact sheet and let me know if you have any questions (you're also welcome to contact me directly if you'd like):
http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/pdf/A_3_09.pdf

Grass carp are not the best tool for managing filamentous algae. They prefer vascular plants. In some situations, they can make algae blooms worse by eating vegetation in the form of true plants and thereby removing competition for nutrients and allowing algae to flourish.

Best,
Eugene