Back yard digging

I have major digging in my yard, especially the back yard. Some mornings it looks like someone was using a tiller at night. I've been live trapping possum, racoons and seeing many skunks. I'm assuming they are digging grubs. Is there a good natural method that is not expensive? My yard is about 1 acre total. I'm in southwest San Marcos on the west (very rocky) side of IH-35. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you. Robert

Hays County Texas animal damage

The most likely culprit is an armadillo. Fencing will keep them out. Short of that, a dog that lives in the yard can be a help, if aggressive and territorial. Another possibility is feral hogs if you are on the edge of town. Their digging is typically quite extensive, possibly fitting your description. Feral hogs can be excluded with ~30 inch tall welded wire panels (hog panels or livestock panels cut in half lengthwise). It would be interesting to set up a game camera or two for surveillance, taking some of the guesswork out of your efforts.