What Type of Pesticides and Fertilizers can I use in my Organic Garden?

I am growing my first organic garden. What type of pesticide and fertilizer can I use?

Prince George's County Maryland

Different gardeners take different approaches to organic gardening. Some use no pesticides at all. Some use no inorganic fertilizer at all. For your health the important thiing is to avoid using poisons that can be harmful to you and the environment. One should never use a pesticide unless it is necessary, whether one is an organic gardener or not. If you develop a pest problem, select the least toxic approach to that problem. If you develop a problem we can help you find the least toxic approach. In terms of fertilizer, have a soil test to determine what fertiizer is necessary. If your soil is very low in phosphorus or potassium, you might want to add an inorganic fertilizer. If not, adding organic material would be adequate. In ANY kind of organic gardening well rotted manure, leaves, compost can be used. vw