I'm running an urban farm in my 1/16th acre Brooklyn Park row home lot. We...

I'm running an urban farm in my 1/16th acre Brooklyn Park row home lot. We have a front and back yard. Out back, nothing eats our fruitful kitchen gardens, but out front, something nibbles my sunflower seedlings and broccoli stalks. The SF shoots are only an inch with a stem left behind, and the broccoli was at least five inches tall when it was lobbed off. No evidence of rats, but maybe squirrels or birds are the culprits. Help! We are dedicated to 100% organic here. What could it be? How could I stop this? Cages and trapping are the only thing I could imagine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anne Arundel County Maryland vegetables vegetable pests vegetable gardening

The possible culprits are many, including rabbits, squirrel, deer, groundhog and birds.
Do you have any fencing? It is very helpful, sometimes essential, to keeping hungry pests out.
Another good possibility for you is floating row cover. This is a gossamer thin fabric which allows light, air and water to penetrate, but protects from pests, including ones like the munching catepillars which like broccoli.
Here is a publication on floating row cover that explains how it is used: http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/not_updated/GE004FloatingRowCoverrevised.sm_.pdf