Sycamores are Withering

I live in Cooke's Hope. I have two sycamores in my front yard. They, like many of the sycamores that I've observed in the area, seem to be withering from some disease or other affliction. Is there anything I can do to save them? Thank you.

Talbot County Maryland

You are correct. The Maryland area is seeing a severe outbreak of Sycamore Anthracnose this year, mainly because the wet conditions and lower temps were perfect for it's growth. You should not worry however. This is a very common occurance, just not usually as severe. It will cause some leaf and twig dieback, but the trees should recover and have time to produce new leaves. There is nothing you should do. The infections have already occurred, and the damage is done. Raking fallen leaves and twigs can reduce the amount of reinfection. For high value sycamores, you could consult a certified arborist to treat with a labeled fungicide before bud break next year, but next season may not be as severe.