mulch

Putting in xeriscape landscape and using landscape fabric and stone mulch. How much clearance should I make for plants in fabric and mulch. Have a tree, bushes, shrubs, and annuals. Any good rule of thumb for how much space they need. I live in Albuquerque near 25 and 40 interchange

Bernalillo County New Mexico

As a gardener, my opinion is that landscape fabric is not suited to garden beds. It is better suited to line pathways or areas without plants. Landscape cloth does not keep unwanted plants from growing through, or on top of the fabric. Further, it gets in the way of maintenance (like dividing perennials), and feeding shrubs and trees which need compost periodically. (Focus on feediing the soil, not the plants.)

That being said, if you choose to use it, keep the fabric away from the anticipated drip-line of the plants at their mature size.