proper pruning for continued blooming

Hi, I purchased a container with two flowering plants in them and I'd love to know how to best prune them so they continue to bloom. There was no identification in the pot to guide me with the name of either plant, so I'm attaching some pictures. Thanks for any help you can provide. Regards, Karen

Arapahoe County Colorado flowers: annuals and herbaceous perennials

The pink flowers are Dianthus (in the carnation family), the red flowers are Verbena. These are annuals commonly used in containers because of their bright flowers, long bloom time, and full sun requirements.

Containers need checked for moisture daily, especially in hot weather. Water as needed. Fertilize containers with a water-soluable plant food every couple of weeks.

In the case of both of these plants, use a small pair of scissors to deadhead the spent (finished) blooms to extend the bloom season.

More about plants in containers here:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/07238.pdf