Position of Cherry Tree

Hi, I have an ornamental cherry tree planted next to my deck about 14 ft from the foundation of my house. I want to find out if the roots from this tree may create problems for my house foundation? I've uploaded a picture of the tree and its location. Thank you Steve

Columbia County Oregon trees and shrubs urban forestry

Thank you for your question to Ask the Expert.

And, thank you for the picture. In the short-term, the tree will likely not cause a problem for your foundation. You could assume that there are roots growing out to the foundation at this point (more or less the same radius as the drip line of the tree). As the tree gets older, it could potentially cause some damage to the foundation. If you want to take a look to see if the roots are damaging or poised to damage the foundation, you could remove some of the decking boards to see the roots underneath. Roots 14' from the tree are less likely to cause damage concrete than roots closer to the base of the tree. Also, if you are still concerned, you could get the opinion of an arborist (or several).

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Weston